|COLONEL ERIC AXELBANK|
Colonel Eric Axelbank is Commander, 37th Training Wing, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, the largest training wing in the U.S. Air Force with over 16,000 permanent party members and students assigned. The Wing executes its training mission through five groups that graduate more than 86,000 students annually. These five training groups include: basic military training for all enlisted Airmen entering the Air Force, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard; technical training for a wide array of Air Force support functions encompassing more than 380 distinct courses; officer and enlisted medical training; English language training for international military personnel from more than 110 countries at the Defense Language Institute English Language Center; and technical training and professional military education courses for Latin American students from more than 20 countries at the Inter-American Air Forces Academy.
Before arriving at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, Colonel Axelbank served as the Vice Commander, 65th Air Base Wing, Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal.
Colonel Axelbank is a 1990 distinguished graduate of the Air Force ROTC program and a 2003 distinguished graduate of the Air Command and Staff College. A career Logistics Readiness Officer, he has served in a broad range of logistics readiness, aircraft maintenance and personnel assignments at the joint, headquarters Air Force, center and wing levels. The 37th Training Wing is Colonel Axelbank's fourth command position, having commanded three times prior within the U.S. Air Forces in Europe and the Pacific Air Forces theaters.
Colonel Axelbank is a Level III Joint Qualified Officer and prior to his Air Staff assignment, he graduated from the National War College at Fort McNair, Washington, D.C., with a Master of Science degree in National Security Strategy. Colonel Axelbank was raised on Air Force bases and he is the son of a retired senior master sergeant.
1990: Bachelor of Science Degree, Computer Science, Hawaii Pacific University
1990: Air Force ROTC Program, Detachment 175, University of Hawaii
1995: Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997: Master of Arts Degree, Economics, University of Oklahoma
2003: Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003: Master of Arts Degree, Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008: National War College, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2008: Master of Science Degree, National Security Strategy, National Defense University
1. January 1991 - January 1993, Wing Mobility Officer, 388th Tactical Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
2. January 1993 - November 1995, Chief, Supply Branch, Joint Task Force - Full Accounting (POW/MIA), Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
3. December 1995 - December 1996, Commander, Detachment 3, 51st Materiel Maintenance Squadron, Kwang Ju Air Base, Republic of Korea
4. December 1996 - December 1998, Accessories Flight Commander and later Maintenance Supervisor, 18th Maintenance Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
5. January 1999 - October 1999, Assignments Officer, Mission Support Officer Assignment Division, Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC), Randolph AFB, Texas
6. October 1999 - June 2000, Executive Officer, Directorate of Assignments, AFPC, Randolph AFB, Texas
7. June 2000 - June 2002, Joint Logistics War Planner, Directorate of Logistics and Engineering, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
8. July 2002 - June 2003, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2003 - May 2005, Commander, 86th and later 435th Materiel Maintenance Squadron, Sembach Annex, Germany
10. June 2005 - June 2007, Commander, 18th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
11. July 2007 - June 2008, Student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2008 - January 2009, Deputy Chief, Supply Chain Management Division and later Deputy Chief, Materiel Support Division, Directorate of Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. February 2009 - July 2009, Chief of Operations, Drawdown Fusion Center, Multi-National Force - Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq (includes combat skills training at Fort Dix, N.J.)
14. August 2009 - July 2010, Deputy Chief, Integrated Life Cycle Management Policy Division, Directorate of Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2010 -June 2011, Vice Commander, 65th Air Base Wing, Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal
16. June 2011 - Present, Commander, 37th Training Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 2000 - June 2002, Joint Logistics War Planner, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a Major
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Air Force Recognition Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
2006 Lance P. Sijan United States Air Force Leadership Award, Senior Officer Category
2005 Air Force Daedalian Major General Warren R. Carter LRS of the Year (as squadron commander)
2004 Ten Outstanding Young Americans, United States Junior Chamber, 66th Annual Congress
1997 Air Force Lt General Leo Marquez Award, Outstanding Aircraft Maintenance, CGO Category
1992 Superior Performer, Air Combat Command Inspector General, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 13, 1990
First Lieutenant September 19, 1992
Captain September 19, 1994
Major October 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2005
Colonel September 1, 2009
(Current as of June 2011)