12/11/2012 - A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the first new facilities for Air Force Basic Training in 36 years was held on Dec. 7.
The event dedicated the first buildings in the new Airmen Training Complex.
Following the ribbon cutting ceremony, the first ATC was officially named the Etchberger Training Complex in honor of Chief Master Sgt. Richard L. Etchberger who was posthumously awarded the Air Force Cross in 1968. Etchberger’s decoration was upgraded to the Medal of Honor in 2010.
The squadron to inhabit the first of eight new dormitories is the 323rd Training Squadron. Known as the Mustangs, they draw their lineage and namesake from the original Tuskegee Airmen who served with valor from 1941 – 1946.
The 272,000 square-foot, four-story dormitory can house approximately 1,200 recruits and provides administrative offices, day rooms and a dining and classroom facility.
Trainees are scheduled to begin moving into the new dormitory building on December 14, 2012.