Chief Master Sergeant Ronald L. Richards is the Superintendent, 37th Training Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He is the principal advisor to the commander and senior staff for the professional and technical training for more than 26,000 military and civilians in the armed forces, international community and other Federal agencies. Training subjects include security forces, combat arms, recruiting, services, TEMPEST, safety, logistics, contracting, and the enlisted aircrew undergraduate course. The 37th Training Group is also the sole training agency for Federal and Department of Defense military working dogs and handlers. The group has more than 875 personnel, 180 facilities and equipment valued at more than $100 million.
Chief Richards grew up in La Plata, Maryland and entered the Air Force in 1990. He has served as a joint instructor, equipment evaluator, flight chief, squadron superintendent, MAJCOM Functional, Senior Enlisted Leader and IG Inspector. Prior to his current position, Chief Richards was the Special Operations and Conventional Forces Enlisted Weather Career field Manager, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
1995 Airman Leadership School, Hickam AFB, Hawaii 1998 Associate Degree in Meteorology, Community Collage of the Air Force
1998 Basic Instructor Course Graduate (Army)
2000 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB Alabama
2006 Bachelors Degree in Environmental Science & Math, Thomas Edison University
2006 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB Alabama
2010 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 AFSO21 Executive Leader Seminar, University of Tennessee, Nashville, Tenn.
2012 U.S Air Force Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2014 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University North Carolina, N.C.
1. July 1990 – August 1990, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, TX
2. August 1990- November 1990, Student, weather observer course, Chanute AFB IL
3. November 1990 – September 1993, Weather Observer, McGuire AFB, NJ
4. September 1993 – October 1994, Weather Observer, 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Humphreys, Korea
5. October 1994 – June 1995, Student, Weather Forecaster Course, Keesler AFB, MS
6. June 1995 – June 1999, Weather Forecaster, 25th Infantry Division, Wheeler AAF, Hawaii
7. July 1999 – July 2001, Joint Tactical Systems Instructor, Hurlburt Field, FL
8. July 2001 – June 2003, Combat Weather Systems Evaluator, Hurlburt Field, FL
9. June 2003 – June 2007, NCOIC East Region/Addition Duty First Sergeant, Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ
10. August 2007 – September 2008, Sq Superintendent/Additional Duty First Sergeant, Scott AFB, IL
11. September 2008 – September 2010, Manager Standards/ Requirements, Scott AFB, IL
12. September 2010 – July 2012, MAJCOM (AFSOC) Weather Functional Manager, Hurlburt Field, FL
13. July 2012 – Jun 2014 Senior Enlisted Leader, HQ Air Force Weather Agency, Offutt AFB, NE
14. July 2014 – May 2017 SOWT & Conventional Weather Enlisted Career Field Manager, Pentagon, Arlington, VA
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
1993 - John Levitow Award, Airman Leadership School
2000 - NCO of the Year, Air Force Combat Weather Center,
2002 - Lance P. Sijan Leadership Nominee, Air Force Weather Agency
2002 - NCO of the Year, Air Force Combat Weather Center
2004 - Lance P. Sijan Leadership Nominee, 12th Air Force
2006 - SNCO of the Year, Air Force Weather Agency
2006 - SNCO of the Year, Headquarters Air Force
2006 - John Levitow Award, Air Force SNCO Academy
2007 - Weather SNCO of the Year, Air Force Weather Agency
2008 - Lance P. Sijan Leadership Nominee, Headquarters Air Mobility Command
2009 - Weather SNCO of the Year, Air Mobility Command
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant Oct 2010
(Current as of July 2017)