Chief Master Sgt. Emilio Avila is the Superintendent, Inter-American Air Forces Academy, JBSA-Lackland, Texas. He is the senior enlisted advisor to the commandant on all matters of military readiness, morale, quality of life, professional development, and effective utilization of assigned personnel, international students, and academy operations. He is responsible for leading a selectively manned group providing technical and professional military education and training to international military forces, national police, and governmental agencies from Latin American countries, the Caribbean, and Afghanistan. These efforts directly support 21 partner nations by providing 1,068 annual courses. Chief Avila is also charged with leading Senior Enlisted Leader engagement opportunities and providing leadership and mentorship to Senior Non-Commissioned Officers throughout the Western Hemisphere.
Prior to his current assignment Chief Avila was the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, undisclosed location. In this capacity, he led more than 3,000 Total Force Airmen in a deployed environment responsible for generating, executing, sustaining and projecting combat air and space power.
Chief Avila enlisted in the Air Force in July 1993. His background includes diverse duties in the Aircraft Armament System Specialist career field, has served as an Instructor at the Inter-American Air Forces Academy and First Sergeant for 6 ½ years. His assignments include bases in South Korea, Louisiana, Texas and Italy. He has deployed in support of Operations ALLIED FORCE, PLAN COLOMBIA, ENDURING FREEDOM, INHERENT RESOLVE AND DELIBERATE RESOLVE
1993 Aircraft Armament Apprentice Course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
1998 Airman Leadership School, Barksdale AFB, La.
2000 Basic Instructor Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2005 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas
2007 First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Associate Degree in Aircraft Systems Technology, CCAF
2008 Associate Degree in Human Resource Management, CCAF
2009 Bachelor of Science in Occupational Education, Wayland Baptist University
2010 USAF Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Asa.
2011 Professional Manager Certification, CCAF
2011 Silver Flag, CE Contingency Training, Ramstein AB, Germany
2013 Aircraft Armament Systems 9-level Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2014 Nuclear Surety Inspector Training, Barksdale AFB, La.
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education I & II
2016 Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
2017 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Leading Strategically, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2017 Cyber 400, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1993 – August 1993, Basic Trainee, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. August 1993 – December 1993, Student, Aircraft Armament Systems, Lowry AFB, Colo.
3. December 1993 – December 1994, Weapons Load Crew Member, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
4. January 1995 – December 2000, Weapons Load Team Chief/Expediter, 11th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
5. January 2001 – June 2005, Instructor/Instructor Supervisor, 837th Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
6. June 2005 – February 2006, Instructor Supervisor/Flight Chief, Training Development, 318th Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
7. February 2006 – January 2007, Chief, Quality Assurance/Interim First Sergeant, Inter-American Air Forces Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas
8. February 2007 – March 2009, First Sergeant, 344th Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
9. April 2009 – June 2010, First Sergeant, 31st Operations Group, Aviano AB, Italy
10. June 2010 – April 2012, First Sergeant, 31st Civil Engineer Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
11. April 2012 – May 2013, First Sergeant, 31st Maintenance Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
12. May 2013 – June 2014, Superintendent, Weapons Flt, 2d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
13. June 2014 – April 2015, Wing Weapons Manager, 2d Maintenance Group, Barksdale AFB, La.
14. April 2015 – July 2017, Superintendent, 51st Operations Group, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
(January 2016 – March 2016, and April 2017- July 2017 - Interim Command Chief, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan AB)
15. August 2017 – May 2019, Command Chief, 688th Cyberspace Wing, Joint Base San Antonio Lackland, TX
16. June 2019 – June 2020, Command Chief, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia.
17. July 2020 – Present, Superintendent Inter-American Air Forces Academy, Joint Base San Antonio Lackland, TX.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit (one OLC and One “C” device)
Meritorious Service Medal (four OLCs)
Air Force Commendation Medal (four OLCs)
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award (two silver OLCs)
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal (one OLC)
NATO Service medal (one device)
1996 Load Crew of the Year, 11th Bomb Squadron
1997 Maintenance Professional of the Year, 11th Bomb Squadron
1997 Leo Marquez Maintenance Award, 2d Bomb Wing
1997 Maintenance Professional of the Year, Air Combat Command
2003 NCO of the Year, 837th Training Squadron
2007 San Antonio Alamo Air Force Association Joe Kellogg Leadership Award
2008 First Sergeant of the Year, 37th Training Group
2010 Distinguished Graduate, SNCO Academy
2010 First Sergeant of the Year, 31st Mission Support Group
2010 First Sergeant of the Year, 31st Fighter Wing
2011 Team of the Year Award, HQ USAF
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant July 2014
(Current as of July 2020)