Lt. Col. Clifford Anderson is the commander, 637th International Support Squadron, Defense Language Institute English Language Center, at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He has command and control of the International Military Student Office, Defense English Language Program case management, registrar, graduation and records administration, and health, morale, and welfare support to resident Department of Defense Security Cooperation Program international military and civilian students from over 110 countries. He also has oversight of the International Field Studies Flight and the International Non-Resident Flight. The IFF gives IMS an understanding of American culture, free enterprise, government, and basic human rights. The INF supports in-country English language training programs designed to produce English language-qualified personnel to support US Security Cooperation objectives.
Prior to his current assignment, he served as the branch head of Training and Air Refueling Staff Officer at the NATO Combined Air Operations Center in Uedem, Germany. He has served as mobility instructor navigator, flight examiner, and as a Foreign Area Officer for the Middle East North Africa region under the Secretary of the Air Force/International Affairs, Washington, D.C. He is an accomplished French speaker.
1997 Bachelor of Arts in History, Virginia Wesleyan College, Norfolk, Va.
2001 Master of Arts in History, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Va.
2009 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2009 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2014 Master of Arts in Philosophy from Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2019 Air War College, by correspondence
1. April 2003 - April 2004, Student, combined undergraduate navigator training, Randolph AFB, Texas
2. May 2005 - October 2004, Student, initial and mission C-130 navigator training, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
3. October 2004 - June 2008, Duty Officer, Training Officer, Tactics Officer, Executive Officer, Instructor Navigator, and Evaluation Flight Examiner, 50th Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
4. June 2008 – June 2013, Evaluation Flight Examiner, Chief of Standards and Evaluations, Group Executive Officer, Flight Commander, and Assistant Director of Operations, 39th Airlift Squadron and 317th Airlift Group, Dyess AFB, Texas
5. June 2013 – September 2014, Student, AFIT, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
6. September 2014 – June 2015, Officer of Security Cooperation, U.S. Embassy Rabat, Morocco
7. August 2015 – June 2018, Future Plans Officer, Joint Enabling Capabilities Command, Norfolk Naval Station, Va.
8. July 2018 – June 2020, Branch Head of Training and Air-to-Air Refueling Staff Officer, NATO Combined Air Operations Center Uedem, Germany
9. June 2020 – Present, Commander, 637th International Support Squadron, Commandant of Troops, Defense Language Institute English Language Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
Rating: Senior Navigator
Flight hours: More than 1,900
Aircraft flown: T-43, T-1A, C-130E, C-130H1, C-130H2, C-130H3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with 5 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor with four oak leaf clusters
Iraq Campaign Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Humanitarian Service Medal
Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Navigator of the Year 2012, Dyess AFB
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Phi Alpha Theta (History Honor Society)
Airlift/Tanker Association Member
Foreign Area Officer Association Member
First Responder, Mission Planning Cell & execution of relief missions for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita 2005
Detachment Commander for Joint Exercise Red Flag Alaska 2009
Dyess AFB PA Liaison Haiti Earthquake Relief 2010
Managed Group Manning for first ever Homeland Defense ORI 2010
Joint Exercise Rodeo Team Manager 2012
“The Search for Vinland: Reconciling Literature and Archeology”- 2001
“Authoritarianism in Turkey”- 2014
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 4, 2003
First Lieutenant April 4, 2005
Captain April 4, 2007
Major March 1, 2013
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2020)