Lt. Col. Timothy C. Rolling is the commander of the 332nd Training Squadron for the 637th Training Group. As the 332nd commander, he is the Dean of Academics for the Defense Language Institute English Language Center (DLIELC) at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He directs the academic enterprise for the Department of Defense’s only English Language Training Program that provides English language training to military and civilian leaders from more than 110 countries annually.
He oversees more than 350 Air Force active-duty and civilian professionals engaged in English language instruction, curriculum development, and English language testing. The DLIELC’s academic mission has a global footprint, with its American Language Course curriculum and training materials in use every day by approximately 25,000 students participating in both in-resident and partner nation English Language Training programs around the world.
As a cornerstone of the Department of Defense’s Security Cooperation enterprise, DLIELC also administers and oversees more than 30,000 English Comprehension Level tests annually to participating partner nations’ personnel in U.S. Department of Defense-sponsored training, exercises, operations, military exchanges and developmental education programs.
Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Rolling was Assistant Air Attaché to the Philippines, United States Embassy Manila, where he advised the ambassador, related policy objectives, and worked shoulder-to-shoulder with host nation counterparts to secure mutual interests. As an INDOPACOM Foreign Area Officer, he also served as country director in the Pentagon working for the Deputy Undersecretary of the Air Force, building partner capacity in Indonesia and Malaysia.
Colonel Rolling received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 2004. He is a senior pilot with more than 2,600 flying hours in the T-37, T-1, C-17, and C-12. He has deployed to USCENTCOM in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM and flown over 430 combat hours in support of overseas contingency operations.
2004 Bachelor of Science, civil engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2004 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2009 Master of Science, aeronautical science, Embry-Riddle University, worldwide
2010 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2013 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2015 Associate of Arts, Tagalog, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, California
2016 Master of Arts, security studies, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California
2019 Air War College, by correspondence
1. August 2004 – April 2005, squadron adjutant, 1st Operations Support Squadron, Langley AFB, Virginia
2. April 2005 – June 2006, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Oklahoma
3. June 2006 – February 2007, student, T-1 Pilot Instructor Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. February 2007 – November 2009, Instructor Pilot, Assistant Flight Commander and Squadron Executive Officer, 32nd Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Oklahoma
5. November 2009 – April 2010, student, C-17 Aircraft Commander Initial Qualification, Altus AFB, Oklahoma
6. April 2010 – October 2013, Instructor Pilot, Executive Officer, Flight Commander, and Deputy Chief of Wing Training, 6th Airlift Squadron and 305th Operations Support Squadron, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey
7. October 2013 – September 2015, Foreign Area Officer Program Office Deputy Director and student, Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center, Presidio of Monterey, California
8. September 2015 – September 2016, student, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California
9. September 2016 – August 2017, Staff Officer, Chief of Integration Operations Branch and Country Director, Secretary of the Air Force International Affairs, Washington, D.C.
10. August 2017 – April 2018, student, Joint Military Attaché School and C-12 Pilot Course, Washington, D.C.
11. April 2018 – June 2021, U.S. Assistant Air Attaché to the Philippines, U.S. Embassy Manila
12. June 2021 – Present, Commander, 332d Training Squadron, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
Rating: Senior pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,600
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-1, C-17, C-12
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 2004
First Lieutenant June 2, 2006
Captain June 2, 2008
Major Aug. 1, 2014
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2019
(Current as of June 2021)