U.S. Army Lt. Col. Luis D. Martinez enlisted in the U.S. Army Puerto Rico National Guard in January 1996. He attended the Military Police One Station Unit Training at Fort McClellan, Alabama, and served as an enlisted soldier for five years with the 544th MP Company, Camp Santiago, Salinas, Puerto Rico. Lieutenant Colonel Martinez graduated from the Interamerican University of Puerto Rico with a bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, and in January 2001 was commissioned through the Reserve Officers Training Corps as a second lieutenant in the Corps of Engineers. He holds a master’s degree in Organizational Development and Leadership from the University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, Texas, and is a graduate from the Engineer Officer Basic Course, Engineer Officer Advanced Course, and Command and General Staff College. In 2003, deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. In 2005, deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. In 2017, temporarily attached to U.S. Army North Engineers and deployed to Puerto Rico in support of operations post Hurricane Maria.
2001 Advanced English Language Program, DLIELC, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
2009 Company Commander’s Course, Ft Jackson, S.C.
2011 Military Transition Team/Combat Advisor, Ft Polk, La.
2016 Joint Engineer Operations Course, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
2016 Army Security Cooperation Planner’s Course, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. November 2001 – February 2003, Multi-Role Bridge Platoon Leader and Support Platoon Leader, 814th Multi-Role Bridge Company, 46th Engineer Battalion, Fort Polk, La.
2. February 2003 – January 2004, Company Executive Officer, Headquarters Support Company, 46th Engineer Battalion, Fort Polk, La.
3. January 2004 – September 2004, Battalion Intelligence Officer, 46th Engineer Battalion, Fort Polk, La.
4. June 2005 – June 2008, Assistant Brigade Operations Officer and Battle Captain, 18th Engineer Brigade, Heidelberg, Germany
5. June 2008 – April 2009, Assistant Brigade Operations Officer, 171st Infantry Brigade, Fort Jackson, S.C.
6. April 2009 – August 2010, Company Commander, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4-10th Infantry Regiment, Fort Jackson, S.C.
7. October 2010 – December 2011, Combat Advisor/Transition Team Senior Engineer Advisor to the Headquarters, Iraqi Federal Police, Baghdad, Iraq in support of Operation New Dawn
8. December 2011 – July 2014, Executive Officer, U.S. Army Miami Recruiting Battalion, Miami, Fla.
9. July 2014 – July 2015, Director of Engineers and Chief Current Operations, Joint Task Force-Bravo, Soto Cano Airbase, Honduras
10. August 2015 – July 2018, Operations Officer, Country Planner, and Chief Current Operations, Assistant Chief of Staff Engineers, U.S. Army South, Fort Sam Houston, Texas
11. July 2018 – July 2019, Area Commander, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Central America, U.S. Embassy-Tegucigalpa, Honduras
12. August 12, 2019 – Present, Deputy Commander, 637th Training Group/Deputy Commandant, DLIELC, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal (4th Award)
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal (4th Award)
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Army Meritorious Unit Citation
Army Superior Unit Award (2nd Award)
Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal (1 Campaign Star)
Iraq Campaign Medal (1 Campaign Star)
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Army Service Ribbon
Overseas Service Ribbon (5th Award)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 28, 2001
First Lieutenant July 28, 2002
Captain June 1, 2004
Major Aug. 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 8, 2018