The Former Lackland Air Force Base, now Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, dates from July 4, 1942, when the War Department separated the part of Kelly Field lying west of Leon Creek and made it an independent installation, naming it the San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center (SAACC). From its acronym many people called the base Sack, Sack-C, or, less affectionately, Sad Sack. Even with its own name, townspeople and most military leaders continued to think of it as a part of Kelly Field. The base bore three awkward and innocuous designations in the first two years after World War II, adding to the confusion. The War Department finally resolved the identity crisis on 11 July 1947, by naming the base for Brig. General Frank D. Lackland. Lackland had originated the idea of an aviation cadet reception and training center for Kelly. For more, click here.