Hondo Air Base was constructed only four months after the attack on Pearl Harbor; as the country was incredibly energized, construction personnel accomplished the bulk of the work on the new base in approximately 90 days from April to July of 1942. The original 52 acres consisted of approximately 330 housing units. The base was only active for three years, closing in August 1945. While in operation, Army Air Force personnel trained over 14K Navigators that served in WWII, however the base re-opened briefly during the Korean conflict, training another generation of navigators. The War Department turned the base over to Hondo city officials in 1958.