DOD issues Flexible Spending Account tips in response to COVID-19

  • Published
  • By Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service
  • Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service

Flexible Spending Account participants may make changes to their Health Care FSA, Limited Expense Health Care FSA, or Dependent Care FSA elections if there has been a Qualifying Life Event, or QLE.

Qualifying life events include:

  • Change in employment status for you, your spouse, or dependent.
  • Change in legal marital status (marriage, divorce, or death of your spouse)
  • Change in the number of your dependents (birth or adoption of a child, or death of a dependent)
  • Change in your dependent’s eligibility (for example, your child reaches age 13 and is no longer eligible under a Dependent Care FSA).
  • Change in child care or elder care provider, change in cost, or change in coverage. This applies to a Dependent Care FSA only.

DCFSA participants who have experienced a QLE due to changes in cost or coverage for child/elder care can decrease future contributions to the plan. If the cost of the child/elder care provider increases prior to Sept. 30, 2020, participants can request a QLE to make the necessary changes to the coverage.

To request a change, participants must notify FSAFEDS as early as 31 days prior but no later than 60 days after the date of the qualifying event.

Participants can call to speak with an FSAFEDS Benefits Counselor toll-free at 877-FSAFEDS (372-3337), TTY: 866-353-8058, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m., Eastern Time.

Questions? Contact