JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-LACKLAND, Texas --
Halloween-themed events will fill up the Joint Base San Antonio community this month. Parents and children alike can take part in the following events in ritualizing Halloween.
• Halloween Haunted House – The 344th Training Squadron will host their fourth annual Halloween Haunted House from 7:30 to 11 p.m. Friday at building 10900. The event is free to anyone with access to JBSA-Lackland. Attendees are encouraged to dress in costume. Call 671-5028 for information.
• Horrifying Haunted House – The JBSA-Lackland Performing Arts Group will host a haunted house from 7-11 p.m. Oct. 28, 29 and 30 at the Arnold Hall Community Center. Children are advised to enter the house with an adult guardian. The cost is $7 per person and refreshments and candy will be offered. The event is open to people with a Department of Defense identification card.
“This event is easy to access on base and will be a fun Halloween event,” said Tracy Parmer, JBSA-Lackland Performing Arts Group president. Call 671-2619 for more information.
• Pre-Halloween Lunch Buffet – The Gateway Club will offer a lunch buffet Thursday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., $10.95 a person. Halloween treats and cakes will be included in the buffet. Department of Defense cardholders can dine at the Gateway Club. Call 645-7034 for more information.
• Halloween Party – People are encouraged to dress in their best costume for the Halloween Party in the Gateway Club’s Lone Star and Maverick Lounge Oct. 28. DJ LJU will be mixing in the Lone Star Lounge from 5-6 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., and Fourth Quarter Band will perform from 6-9 p.m. DJ Tony Style will be in the Maverick Lounge from 5-8 p.m. Prizes will be awarded for best costume in each lounge.
“People looking for a good time and looking to meet fellow JBSA members should attend this event,” said Cindy Cosner, Gateway Club manager. Call 671-7034 for more information.
• Zombie 5K Fun Run and Walk – Zombies looking to eat on competition can participate in the annual Zombie 5K Run and Walk Oct. 31 at the Gillum Fitness Center. Prizes will be awarded to the top three finishers and the competitor with the best costume. The event is free and open to Department of Defense cardholders. Registration starts at 6:30 a.m. and the race begins at 7:30 a.m. Call the JBSA-Lackland Fitness and Sports Office at 671-2632 for more information.
• Fall Hi-Jinx – The JBSA-Randolph Youth Center will host a Fall Hi-Jinx carnival from 5-8 p.m., Oct. 31. The event is free and open to all Department of Defense cardholders and their families. The carnival will include 22 games and a costume contest where prizes will be awarded to first, second and third place finishers in the following age categories: 0-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-18 and adults.
“This is a wonderful alternative to trick or treating and is a great family event,” said Andrea Black, JBSA-Randolph Youth Programs director.
• Halloween Costume Bingo and Bingo Appreciation – People are encouraged to dress in their best costume for a chance to win door prizes. The event starts at 7 p.m., Oct. 31 at the Kendrick Club. A free buffet will be offered from 5-7 p.m. Call 652-3056 for more information.
JBSA-Fort Sam Houston
• Super Heroes Howl Down – The Exceptional Family Member Program will host a free event Friday that will include a haunted house, arts and crafts, trick or treating, music and more. EFMP families may participate in this event from 4:30-5:30 p.m. The event is open to all JBSA families after 5:30 p.m. Call 221-2705 for more information.
• Teen Halloween Dance – The JBSA-Fort Sam Houston Youth Center will host a High School Halloween Dance for grades 9-12 Friday. The dance commences at 8 p.m. The Keystone Club will conduct a food drive in conjunction with the Halloween dance. Cost to enter the dance is four canned food items for club members who participate in the food drive and $5 plus four canned food items for nonmembers. Call 221-3502 for more information.
• Haunted House – The Haunted House eventis scheduled at the JBSA-Fort Sam Houston Youth Center Saturday and Oct. 28, 29 and 31. People can enter the house starting at 8 p.m. The entry fee is $3 for ages 13 and older and $2 for ages 12 and under. Call 221-3502 and 221-4492 for more information.
• Halloween Bash – Patrons dressed in costumes can bowl for $1 per game and rent shoes for $1 from 5-11 p.m. Oct. 29 at the Bowling Center.