Chief Master Sergeant Gregory F. Butcher Jr. is the Superintendent, 637th Training Group, Defense Language Institute English Language Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. In this position, he served as the Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Commander/Commandant for the Department of Defense's only English Language Training Center for International Military Partners. The 637th Training Group is comprised of three Air Force squadrons, two Army companies, and a Navy detachment where he advises command teams on issues regarding welfare, readiness, morale, proper utilization, and quality of life for 1,200 enlisted personnel, civilians, and International Military Students from over 115 countries. Additionally, Chief Butcher coordinates with military leaders, professional military organizations, and community partners promoting Security Cooperation partnerships supporting five Combatant Command mission sets and assists with cadre preparation and site visits of Non-Resident Mobile Training Teams at 26 locations around the world supporting 2,500 international students annually.
Chief Butcher entered the Air Force in July 1996. He is a former Civil Engineer and served in a variety of electrical systems support positions such as High-Voltage Lineman, Exterior Electric NCOIC, and Airfield Lighting NCOIC. In 2004, he was retrained into the Education and Training specialty and has managed 125 different Air Force specialty training programs at units through staff-level functions. Throughout his career, he has filled a myriad of leadership roles including Additional Duty First Sergeant, Quality Assurance Superintendent. Technical Training Instructor, Wing Director of Inspections, Directorate and Squadron superintendent. He has been stationed at locations in Florida, Texas, and New Mexico. He also served overseas in Turkey and Japan and deployed in support of OPERATIONS Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, and Enduring Freedom. Before arriving at JBSA-Lackland, Chief Butcher served as Superintendent of both the 18th and 718th Force Support Squadrons at Kadena Air Base, Japan.
2001 Airmen Leadership School, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2005 Associates of Applied Science degree in Electrical & Mechanical Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2005 Associates of Applied Science degree in Industrial Management, North West Florida University, Fla.
2006 Associates of Applied Science degree in Education & Training, Community College of the Air Force
2007 USAFE Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Kapaun AS, Germany
2009 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
2009 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Correspondence Course
2011 Bachelor of Arts Degree in Organizational Management, Ashford University, Clinton, Iowa
2011 Professional Manager Certificate, Community College of the Air Force
2013 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2014 Inspector General Training Course, Leesburg, Va.
2015 Master of Arts Degree in Education, Trident University International, Cypress, Calif.
2018 CMSgt Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, Ala.
1. July 1996 – September 1996, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. September 1996 – December 1996, Student, Electrical Systems Apprentice, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. January 1997 – July 2004, High-Voltage Lineman, NCOIC, Exterior Electric and NCOIC, Airfield Lighting, 796th Civil Engineer Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla. (May 2001 – September 2001 and October 2002 – March 2003, Electrical Craftsman, 363d Air Expeditionary Wing, Prince Sultan Air Base, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
4. July 2004 – September 2004, Student, Education and Training Apprentice, Keesler AFB, Miss.
5. October 2004 – December 2005, Maintenance Training Manager, 46th Maintenance Group, Eglin AFB, Fla.
6. January 2006 – January 2008, NCOIC, Unit Education & Training, 728th Air Mobility Squadron, Incirlik AB, Turkey
7. January 2008 – April 2010, Group Training Manager, 982d Training Group and Group Training Superintendent, 882d Training Group, Sheppard AFB, Texas
8. April 2010 – June 2014, Group Training Superintendent, Base Functional Manager and Superintendent, Quality Assurance and Evaluations, 937th Training Group, Fort Sam Houston, Texas (January 2011 – July 2011, Technical Training Instructor, 37th Training Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas; and October 2013 – March 2014, Education Center Chief, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait)
9. June 2014 – July 2017, Superintendent, Enterprise Support Directorate, Superintendent, Mission Support Directorate, Additional Duty First Sergeant, Director of Inspections, AFIA, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
10. July 2017 – July 2020, Superintendent, Military Personnel Flight, Superintendent, 18th Force Support Squadron and Superintendent, 718th Force Support Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
11. July 2020 - Present, Superintendent 637th Training Group, Defense Language Institute English Language Center
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
1999 Below the Zone promotion to Senior Airman
2001 Distinguished Graduate, Airmen Leadership School
2002 Top Graduate, Hotline Maintenance School
2004 Distinguished Graduate, Education and Training Apprentice
2006 46th Test Wing, Unit Training Manager of the Year
2007 21st Expeditionary Mobility Task Force, Unit Training Manager of the Year
2009 82d Training Wing, Unit Training Manager of the Year
2010 82d Training Wing, Unit Training Manager of the Year
2011 37th Training Wing, Unit Training Manager of the Year
2012 Air Force Affiliate of National Nursing Service Staff Development Award
2013 Distinguished Graduate, SNCO Academy
2013 37th Training Wing, Lance P. Sijan Award
2016 AFIA, Commander’s Leadership Award
2016 AFIA, Lance P. Sijan Award
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic July 17, 1996
Airman Jan. 17, 1997
Airman First Class Nov. 17, 1997
Senior Airman Jan. 17, 1999
Staff Sgt. May 1, 2001
Technical Sgt. June 1, 2005
Master Sgt. April 1, 2010
Senior Master Sgt. Dec. 1, 2013
Chief Master Sgt. July 1, 2017
(Current as of October 2020)